I currently have my teaching license in Special Education and would like to use the OPAL (Online Portfolio Alternative Licensure) for a regular education license - can I use my license number or do I need to re-apply from the beginning?

The New Mexico Public Education Department (NMPED) has made available a powerful set of resources for NM teachers and administrators at  We encourage you to utilize this website when you have questions about teaching-related issues in order to most quickly find your answers and accomplish your goals!

The section of the TeachNM website on OPAL is accessed by clicking “New Teachers” at the top and then “Online Portfolio for Alternative Licensure” -

The section of the TeachNM website on the 3-Tiered Licensure System may also be helpful.  It is accessed by clicking "Experienced Teachers" at the top and then "3-Tiered Licensure System" -


Please contact the NMPED Licensure Help Desk about the process for this special situation:

Licensure Help Desk
(505) 827-5821


Please sign in to leave a comment.
Powered by Zendesk